|Career And Reserve Entry Level Requirements|
The Department is a combination department consisting of paid and volunteer firefighters. The Department requires the same minimum requirements for both career and paid employees, which are:
1. Complete City application
2. Reside within the response area identified by the attached map*
3. Pass a written general education comprehensive test (pass\fail)
4. Pass a physical ability test (pass\fail)
5. Pass an oral interview (70% or better is a passing score)
6. Be placed on the City Eligibility List for employment
7. Pass a Chief’s interview. City has “rule of three” from the Eligibility list established from above
8. Pass a psychological test
9. Pass a detailed law enforcement background check
10. Pass a respiratory protection medical exam including a drug screen
The Department has experienced a reduction in volunteers believed to be due to current training requirements mandated by Cal OSHA and the addition of paid staffing. Each volunteer firefighter must maintain 200 hours of training each year to meet the minimum requirements. Volunteer firefighters are not exempt from the Cal OSHA Standards and are considered employees by the State of California for the purpose of meeting all Osha Standards.
Currently Under Construction
Reserve Firefighter Program
The Reserve Firefighter Program is a combined effort through Stanislaus Consolidated Fire Protection District, Oakdale City Fire Department and Oakdale Fire District to provide a gateway for aspiring firefighters to enter the fire service. Once separate entities, a unified Reserve Program provides a stronger auxiliary component which, in turn, fortifies the three agencies’ commitment to customer service.
The Reserve Firefighter Program provides additional support personnel to respond to all types of incidents. Reserve Firefighters (formerly Volunteer and Reserve Firefighters with the Oakdale Fire Protection District and Oakdale Fire Department) are “at-will” employees and serve with the understanding of no expectation for compensation.