Who needs a Business License?
Any Business that generates revenue within the City of Oakdale.
Any Oakdale business that does not have a commercial storefront, office or commercial or industrial location is considered to be a home-based business , even if the sales or services are performed outside the residence. Post office boxes, whether U.S. or private, can only be used as mailing addresses and cannot be registered as commercial locations
To License a Business in Oakdale:
1. Complete a new business license application Form.
2. If you do not qualify for an exemption, you will be required to submit payment of license fees to the City of Oakdale Finance, 280 North Third Avenue, Oakdale, CA 95361.
3. Any Oakdale business that does not have a commercial storefront, office or commercial or industrial location is considered to be a home-based business, even if the sales or services are performed outside the residence. Home Occupation Applcation Fee is $95.00.
4. You are required to renew your Business License yearly.
Your check or your receipt will be your temporary license until your application has been approved. Upon approval, a Business License Certificate will be mailed to you (approximately 4 weeks from receipt of application). Your Certificate should be posted at the place of business so the public can see that you have a business license.
5. The State of California Enacted Senate Bill 1186 which added a State Fee of $1.00 on any new business license or renewals. The purpose of this fee is to provide a funding source for increased disability access and compliance with construction accessibility requirements and to develop educational resources for businesses in order to facilitate compliance with the federal and state disability laws. You may obtain information about your legal obligations and how to comply with disability access laws at the following State Agencies:
All new business licenses applications are reveiwed by the Planning and Building Safety Divisions, Police and Fire Departments for compliance with City Ordinances and Codes. The Business License will be issued only upon approval by these departments and divisions. Once the license has been issued we will verify to all callers that you have a license.
If you have other questions, please call (209) 845-3571.